Who we are
Ecotrust creates and accelerates triple-bottom-line innovations to benefit our region and inspire the world. On the farm, at the coast, in the forest, and across our cities, we work in partnership towards an equitable, prosperous, climate-smart future. Our home is Salmon Nation, the region from California to Alaska that holds productive lands and determined people. We recognize the legacy of colonialism and the deep inequities of this place, and we believe that radical, practical change is possible and necessary. Since 1991, we have created durable change and sparked ideas across the globe. Learn more at Ecotrust.org.
What we’re looking for
Ecotrust seeks a Donor Engagement Manager to be part of a collaborative fundraising team and hold primary responsibility for individual donor relationship development, engagement, and solicitation. Working across Ecotrust’s Engage Team and partnering with the executive team, board of directors, and program leads, this person will excel at identifying, cultivating, and stewarding individual donors and family foundations, and soliciting gifts and planned giving commitments.
Who you are
You are an optimist, a creative, and a motivated learner. You have high emotional intelligence and are able to easily develop positive, trusting relationships with diverse individuals inside and outside the organization.
Equity at the center
Ecotrust holds a deep commitment to equity and diversity as core principles integral to the work we do. As we add new members across all levels of the organization, we seek diverse perspectives that will add richness to our evolving organization and networks.
Build relationships with a diverse group of donors and prospects
Through direct, thoughtful, personalized engagement, cultivate and deepen relationships with current donors and prospective supporters. Identify relationship pathways, navigate social networks, and engage Ecotrust staff and board to support fundraising efforts.
Build resources and raise catalytic support
Recognize and develop the full value of Ecotrust’s donor community, and invite meaningful contributions to the mission, including the solicitation of single gifts, multi-year pledges, and catalytic partnerships. Meaningfully and responsibly steward all contributions.
Facilitate unique donor experiences
Create and lead compelling donor experiences that are inclusive and welcoming to people from all backgrounds, including field visits, board-led engagements, and fundraising events. Provide support to VP of Development and Engagement in recruiting, motivating and training Board and staff as partners in donor engagement tactics.
Execute on strategy and plan
Develop and implement a portfolio fundraising strategy, monitor major gift fundraising efforts and budget, set priorities for future activities, and regularly report out on activities and outcomes. Work closely with board and key staff to identify and engage high capacity donor prospects, and solicit of gifts of $5,000+ to empower Ecotrust’s mission.
Develop awareness and invitations
Maintain knowledge and expertise in issues relevant to Ecotrust’s organizational priorities and concerns, with a particular attunement to our climate and equity imperatives. Engage in our organization-wide Racial Equity Action Plan and strive for racially equitable outcomes in planning. Creatively engage with colleagues to identify and develop funding opportunities.
We are passionate about developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you are excited about this role but do not meet 100% of the qualifications listed below, we urge you to apply. Transferable skills are any skills gained through education, work experience (including the military) or life experience that are relevant for this position. Be sure to describe any transferable skills in your cover letter and clearly explain how they apply to this position.
- Authentic commitment to Ecotrust’s mission to inspire fresh thinking that creates economic opportunity, social equity, and environmental well-being, and a demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Experienced relationship builder, with engaging interpersonal skills, and a shown ability to partner productively with a variety of staff, donors, and community partners, including with people from different cultures and experiences.
- Demonstrated initiative and achievement against revenue goals, with a strong background in personal solicitation of five and six figure charitable gifts, or relevant experience in customer-centered marketing or sales.
- Project management experience, including the ability to prioritize efforts, meet deadlines, and manage up.
- Skilled in verbal and written communication, including intercultural communications, with exceptional attention to details.
- Proficient with tech and tools, including MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PPT) and Google Drive
- Established work ethic, highly motivated and deliberate.
- Tact and subtlety in dealing with confidential information and sensitive matters.
- Flexibility in schedule that allows travel up to 20% of time (mostly in Washington, Oregon and Northern California), some evening engagements, and occasional weekend commitments.
Preferred But Not Required:
- Knowledge of bequests, charitable annuities and other planned giving vehicles.
- Shown skill with database applications (Raiser’s Edge a plus), and familiarity with constituent data tracking and reporting.
- Experience working with an executive team or board of directors.
How To Apply:
Please follow these directions closely. Complete an Ecotrust Employment Application form (available above as a PDF or Word Doc) and forward with (1) a cover letter (1 page maximum), and (2) your resume to email@example.com with this position’s title in the subject line by close of business on the day of the application deadline listed above. Your cover letter should clearly explain how your skills, experience, and interests fit this position.
The Selection Process:
- Initial review of qualifications
- Phone Interview
- In-person interview
- Reference checks
Salary range: $65,000-$70,000 DOE
Reports to: VP of Development and Engagement
FTE: 40 hours/week (Negotiable)
This is a position on Ecotrust’s Development Team, based in Portland, Oregon. Ecotrust offers a full benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement plan, life insurance, and disability coverage. Ecotrust is committed to growth and learning for all staff members and provides relevant developmental training opportunities. While this position requires some evening engagements and occasional weekend engagements, we are committed to supporting employees as whole people and strive to maintain a 40 hour work week, balancing after-hours work with our regular office hours.
Ecotrust is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that a diverse staff of qualified, highly-skilled, and creative individuals is necessary to achieve the vision and mission of the project. We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who can contribute to the diversity of our workforce across a range of dimensions.
Veterans’ Preference: Under Oregon Law, qualifying veterans may apply for veterans’ preference for this recruitment. The contact listed on the job announcement must receive all required documentation by the closing date of the recruitment.
Accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act: We gladly provide reasonable accommodation to anyone whose specific disability prevents them from completing an application or participating in this recruitment process. Please reach out to the contact above in advance to request assistance.
Learn more about this position: The Development Team hosted and recorded an hour-long information session about this position. You can download the audio recording from Google drive here to hear our answers to frequently asked questions.