Ecotrust creates and accelerates triple-bottom-line innovations to benefit our region and inspire the world. On the farm, at the coast, in the forest, and across our cities, we work in partnership towards an equitable, prosperous, climate-smart future. Since 1991, we have created durable change and sparked ideas across the globe. Ecotrust holds a deep commitment to equity and diversity as core principles integral to the work we do. We have an annual budget of $11-12 million, roughly 60 FTE, and a 17-member board of directors.
In order to increase our social and environmental impact, we need to plan beyond a one year cycle, as we generally have done. We are coming out of a founder transition and both staff and board desire a more flexible, cross-programmatic structure, and more distributed power and leadership, so we need to adapt the way we think and plan to a multi-year timeframe. We have recently updated and affirmed our organizational values, set two cross-organizational imperatives — climate and equity, created our first-ever organizational theory of change, and assessed our revenue model. Building on that work, we seek an experienced consultant to help guide us through a brisk but meaningful and collaborative process leading to a 3-5 year working plan for the organization. We want this working plan to be completed by late August, in preparation for our September 2020 board retreat.
Things that matter to us in choosing a partner:
- Proven track record working with similarly sized nonprofits to develop multi-year strategic plans
- Your own lived experience and knowledge of equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) best practices
- Ability to include all voices at the organization, and some from outside
- Our HQ is in Portland, Oregon, and we have a preference for a consultant we can work with in person
- Ability to constructively challenge key stakeholders
- Strong facilitation skills
- Experience inspiring others to think innovatively
- Familiarity with and knowledge of non-profit fundraising models
How To Apply:
Please include in your proposal:
- How you are qualified to successfully meet the goals of our strategic planning process
- Your general approach to such planning
- Please articulate your philosophy of equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) and how EDI can be centered in this process
- Timeline and activities
- Examples of similar projects
- Two sample project plans
- Identify who will be involved on your project team, their role, and include their relevant experience
- Three references of individuals who can speak to your experience in conducting similar strategic planning (Information regarding each reference should include the individual’s name, address, telephone number, and email address)
- Answers the following equitable contracting questions
Does your organization identify as a:
- Minority-owned business
- Women-owned business
- LGBTQ-owned business
- Veteran-owned business
- Other relevant self-identification:
Is your organization certified as a:
- Minority-owned Business Enterprise (MBE)
- Women-owned Business Enterprise (WBE)
- Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE)
- Other relevant certification(s):
Does your organization have an Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) policy?
- Yes (if so, please provide a copy of the policy and/or details)
Would your organization be willing to develop an EDI policy?
Ecotrust has budgeted $15,000-$25,000 for this process. Please direct any questions to Katherine White at email@example.com. Applicants do not need to fill out the Ecotrust Application in the left-hand sidebar. Download a PDF of the full application, including our core values and working theory of change here.