In the late 1990s, when we realized we needed a new home and the world needed a natural model of building, we bought a 100-year-old warehouse. Originally constructed in 1895, we used 98 percent of the original materials to rebuild it into the “Natural Capital Center” with the help of an extraordinary gift from philanthropist and founding board member Jean Vollum.
Today, the Natural Capital Center stands as a pioneer of green building and is Ecotrust’s headquarters, but also is home to over two dozen social enterprises that are changing the way we live, work, and do business.
Jean Vollum Natural Capital Center721 NW 9th Avenue (between Irving St. and Johnson St.) Portland, OR 97209503.227.6225 | email@example.com
Two streetcar lines — the blue and green — stop in front of our building at the NW 10th & Johnson St. station. Check the current schedules and learn more at the Portland Streetcar website.
Portland’s Union Station at 800 NW 6th Ave., seven blocks from our building, services Amtrak trains from a variety of origins. Visit amtrak.com for more information on routes and rates.
Two bus lines and two MAX train lines stop within 1/4-mile of our building.
#77 bus: Westbound stops at NW Glisan St. & 10th; Eastbound stops at NW Everett St. & Park
#17 bus: Northbound stops at NW Broadway & Irving St.; Southbound stops at NW Broadway & Hoyt St.
MAX train green & yellow lines: Northbound stops at NW 6th & Hoyt St.; Southbound stops at NW 5th & Glisan St.
From I-5 Northbound:
Take exit 299B on the left for I-405 N toward U.S. 26 W/City Center. Merge onto I-405 N. Take exit 2B toward Everett St./Glisan St. Merge onto NW 14th Ave. Turn right onto NW Johnson St. Drive four blocks. Destination is on the left.
From I-5 Southbound:
Take exit 302A toward City Center. Merge onto N Broadway. Continue onto the Broadway Bridge. Take slight right onto NW Lovejoy St. Turn onto NW 9th Ave. and drive two blocks. Destination is on the left.
On-street parking is available in the area. The nearby Station Place parking garage at 1025 NW Station Way offers affordable long-term parking options. We have a parking lot available for free 2-hour max visitor parking, all hours. Parking patrol is strict.
We post about upcoming events, our research, regional news, and so much more. We hope you'll follow our posts and videos and share yours with us, too. We also write a monthly newsletter. Sign up below.
Jobs and internships
The Venue Coordinator will work with the Ecotrust Events Department to assist and service events happening within the Natural Capital Center (NCC) and the Redd on Salmon Street. Our ideal candidate enjoys working independently, loves interacting with people, excels at physical work, and is able to remain calm and collected in stressful circumstances. The Venue coordinator will be the clients’ main point of contact during event venue rentals and ensures that clients’ audio/visual needs are met, executes the room setup and breakdown, provides light housekeeping for events. Our beautiful and historic buildings are prized assets and the venue coordinator plays a critical role in protecting the spaces during event rentals. This is a part-time position, mainly weekends, weekday early mornings and evenings, and possibly additional weekday shifts. Additional hours are possible, based on the candidate’s flexibility, performance, and ambition. This is a part-time, at-will position. Qualified candidates must be effective team players and committed to Ecotrust’s mission.
Who we are: Ecotrust creates and accelerates triple-bottom-line innovations to benefit our region and inspire the world. On the farm, at the coast, in the forest, and across our cities, we work in partnership towards an equitable, prosperous, climate-smart future. Our home is Salmon Nation, the region from California to Alaska that holds productive lands and determined people. We recognize the legacy of colonialism and the deep inequities of this place, and we believe that radical, practical change is possible and necessary. Since 1991, we have created durable change and sparked ideas across the globe. Learn more at Ecotrust.org.
Since 2001, we have operated event facilities in Ecotrust’s historic LEED-certified building in the Pearl District. Our event operations serve to tell Ecotrust’s story and return funding resources back to the organization. We rapidly expanded in 2019, with an additional 7,000-square-foot venue called the Irving Street Studio. Additionally, the Redd on Salmon Street (Redd East), a campus dedicated to the good food movement fully opened in January of 2019. Redd East offers 10,000+ square feet of combined convening space. Learn more at ecotrust.org.
Ecotrust holds a deep commitment to equity and diversity as core principles integral to the work we do. As we add new members across all levels of the organization, we seek diverse perspectives that will add richness to our evolving organization and networks.
- Set up and teardown for events, lifting and/or moving furniture; physical work is involved and prominent. This includes setting up and breaking down 100+ chairs and 20+ tables.
- Main point of contact for clients during event, providing outstanding customer service and proactively anticipating client needs. Must enjoy client interactions, keeping clients happy and staying calm in stressful circumstances.
- Ability to simultaneously adhere to building policy while maintaining a positive interaction with clients.
- Set up audiovisual equipment and troubleshoot as needed.
- Housekeeping of event spaces, to include but not limited to: wiping down tables and chairs, cleaning bathrooms, vacuuming and mopping floors, taking out the trash, recycling, and composting, etc.
- Administrative duties: database work in Salesforce, scanning, printing signage, filing, and maintaining office organization.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Able to lift 50lbs or more. (Must be able to move conference center furniture on own).
- Strong customer service with excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including with people from different races, ethnicities, cultures, and backgrounds.
- Experience in events/catering preferred, or transferable skills.
- Must possess interest in event coordination.
- Highly personable, proactive and self-motivated.
- Ability to prioritize as the situation demands.
- Ability to problem solve and troubleshoot as needed.
- Enthusiasm and knowledge about audio/visual equipment a plus.
- Work well in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to do repetitive tasks (set up/teardown).
- Must be organized and able to pay attention to minute details.
- Must be reliable and responsible.
How To Apply:
Complete an Ecotrust Employment Application form (available above as a PDF or Word DOC) and forward with a cover letter (1 page maximum) and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org with this position’s title in the subject line by close of business on the day of the application deadline listed above. This position is open until filled.
This is a part-time, hourly position. Starting pay is $16.00 an hour.
Ecotrust hosted an informational session about this position. You can view the session here.
Ecotrust is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that a diverse staff of qualified, highly-skilled, and creative individuals is necessary to achieve the vision and mission of the project. We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who can contribute to the diversity of our workforce across a range of dimensions.
Veterans’ Preference: Under Oregon Law, qualifying veterans may apply for veterans’ preference for this recruitment. The contact listed on the job announcement must receive all required documentation by the closing date of the recruitment.
Accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act: We gladly provide reasonable accommodation to anyone whose specific disability prevents them from completing an application or participating in this recruitment process. Please reach out to the contact above in advance to request assistance.