In the late 1990s, when we realized we needed a new home and the world needed a natural model of building, we bought a 100-year-old warehouse. Originally constructed in 1895, we used 98 percent of the original materials to rebuild it into the “Natural Capital Center” with the help of an extraordinary gift from philanthropist and founding board member Jean Vollum.
Today, the Natural Capital Center stands as a pioneer of green building and is Ecotrust’s headquarters, but also is home to over two dozen social enterprises that are changing the way we live, work, and do business.
Jean Vollum Natural Capital Center721 NW 9th Avenue (between Irving St. and Johnson St.) Portland, OR 97209503.227.6225 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Two streetcar lines — the blue and green — stop in front of our building at the NW 10th & Johnson St. station. Check the current schedules and learn more at the Portland Streetcar website.
Portland’s Union Station at 800 NW 6th Ave., seven blocks from our building, services Amtrak trains from a variety of origins. Visit amtrak.com for more information on routes and rates.
Two bus lines and two MAX train lines stop within 1/4-mile of our building.
#77 bus: Westbound stops at NW Glisan St. & 10th; Eastbound stops at NW Everett St. & Park
#17 bus: Northbound stops at NW Broadway & Irving St.; Southbound stops at NW Broadway & Hoyt St.
MAX train green & yellow lines: Northbound stops at NW 6th & Hoyt St.; Southbound stops at NW 5th & Glisan St.
From I-5 Northbound:
Take exit 299B on the left for I-405 N toward U.S. 26 W/City Center. Merge onto I-405 N. Take exit 2B toward Everett St./Glisan St. Merge onto NW 14th Ave. Turn right onto NW Johnson St. Drive four blocks. Destination is on the left.
From I-5 Southbound:
Take exit 302A toward City Center. Merge onto N Broadway. Continue onto the Broadway Bridge. Take slight right onto NW Lovejoy St. Turn onto NW 9th Ave. and drive two blocks. Destination is on the left.
On-street parking is available in the area. The nearby Station Place parking garage at 1025 NW Station Way offers affordable long-term parking options. We have a parking lot with 34 spaces that are available after 5 pm, Monday-Friday, and all day on weekends, free of charge. Twelve spaces are open all the time for 2-hour visitor parking. Parking patrol is strict and the fine is $50.
We post about upcoming events, our research, regional news, and so much more. We hope you'll follow our posts and videos and share yours with us, too. We also write a monthly newsletter. Sign up below.
Jobs and internships
Want to change the world? So do we. Come work with us. We are an ambitious bunch of 40+ changemakers headquartered in the heart of Portland, Oregon. We work hard and play hard, too.
We have no available positions at this time.
Occupying a central role within a collaborative and high-functioning development team, the Development Coordinator is a limited duration position (8 months) that will work closely with the Grants Manager and VP of Development to manage and implement a donor-centric development strategy that builds a diverse, dynamic pipeline of donors and supports the health and growth of the organization.
She/he serves as a liaison and support between program, development, and finance teams helping with grant proposals and reporting, maintaining accurate financial and donor records, and sustaining the systems and strategy for grants management at Ecotrust.
- Manage the master calendar of grant deadlines and proactively communicate timelines and requirements to responsible staff.
- Coordinate with program, development, and finance teams, ensuring on-time submission of proposals and reports.
- Assist in maintaining funder records in the development database and in paper files, including grant tracking, cultivation, and reporting.
- Work with program and finance teams in the proposal preparation and reporting process to ensure submission of accurate budgets and financial reports.
- With leadership from Grants Manager, maintain a streamlined grants management process and conduct research on potential funders to support the development of a more robust funding pipeline for key initiatives.
- In addition to the responsibilities outlined above, the Development Coordinator will perform departmental administrative tasks as needed, such as data entry, event support, and travel coordination.
- Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of Ecotrust’s mission and values.
- Ability to quickly learn new subject matter relating to environmental, conservation, social equity, and economic development issues.
- Excellent project management skills, with an ability to balance multiple deadlines, priorities, and working styles.
- Relevant development experience with a demonstrated record of success in fundraising.
- Knowledge of fundraising and grants processes, strategies, and resources.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook; experience in Raiser’s Edge or knowledge of database management strongly preferred.
- Keen attention to detail, and strong editing/proofreading skills.
- Good team player, flexible work style, and excellent interpersonal skills that allow for strong working partnerships with staff and funders.
How To Apply:
Complete an Ecotrust Employment Application form (available above as a PDF or Word DOC) and forward with a cover letter (1 page maximum) and resume to: email@example.com with “Development Coordinator” in the subject line.
No phone calls, please.
This position will remain open until filled. Preference will be given to applications received by close of business on Friday, June 30.
This is a full-time limited duration position for 8 months, beginning July 24 through March 2018. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package. Salary is $25,000-$30,000, commensurate with qualifications. The opportunity for the right person to remain on staff full-time after March 2018 is possible.
Benefits package includes retirement plan match, medical and dental insurance, and flexible spending account. Life insurance and disability coverage provided.
Ecotrust is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that a diverse staff of qualified, highly-skilled, and creative individuals is necessary to achieve the vision and mission. We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who can contribute to the diversity of our workforce across a range of dimensions.
Veterans’ Preference: Under Oregon Law, qualifying veterans may apply for veterans’ preference for this recruitment. Jobs@ecotrust.org must receive all required documentation.