Ecotrust seeks a new core Food & Farms team member to manage our Ag of the Middle (AOTM) program work. The AOTM Program Manager will be responsible for executing all facets of Ecotrust’s “Agriculture of the Middle” projects, including a newly launched accelerator program for small and mid-sized farms seeking to scale. The successful candidate will have professional experience with business development, training and technical assistance, program management, fundraising, and grants administration. Further, the ideal candidate will be familiar with farming and ranching, regenerative agriculture, and rural communities, and in fact may live in a rural area of the Pacific Northwest already. The position is based out of our Portland headquarters, but could be remote for someone based in the rural Northwest.
Who we are: Ecotrust is powered by the vision of a world where people and nature thrive together. Since 1991, we have partnered with local communities from California to Alaska to build new ways of living and doing business. From forestry to finance, food access to green building, we work to advance social equity, economic opportunity, and environmental well-being. Together, we are making this place we live a home that we love. Learn more at ecotrust.org.
Ecotrust holds a deep commitment to equity and diversity as core principles integral to the work we do. As we add new members across all levels of the organization, we seek diverse perspectives that will add richness to our evolving organization and networks.
The Program Manager will help drive systemic change in regional agriculture by providing the training, technical assistance, and networks small and midsize farmers and ranchers need to scale their businesses, and by representing Ecotrust in regional and national agricultural networks.
Key responsibilities include:
- Manage all aspects of Ecotrust’s newly launched Agriculture of the Middle Accelerator program
- Programmatic activities include: participant recruitment, coordination of trainings and technical assistance, event coordination, program evaluation, etc.
- Administrative activities include: management of grants, especially complex federal grants, management of contracts with multiple consultants, budget management
- With support from the VP, Food & Farms and from Ecotrust’s Development team, fundraise for the “agriculture of the middle” body of work
- Work one-on-one with small/midsize producers to grow their businesses, primarily through business and market development activities and federal Value-Added Producer Grant funding
- Facilitate connections between small/midsize producers and other Ecotrust initiatives (e.g. the Redd on Salmon Street, the NW Food Buyers’ Alliance, Ecotrust Investments)
- Engage actively in broader Ecotrust efforts to advance racial equity and mitigate climate change via the “agriculture of the middle” body of work
- Represent Ecotrust in regional and national agricultural networks; occasional public speaking
- Maintain close working relationships with community partners (like-minded businesses, nonprofits, state and local government entities, etc.)
- Experience working with agriculture or food businesses on business and/or market development
- Experience applying for and administering federal grants (transferable skills such as strong academic writing skills and a keen attention to detail, plus experience with foundation or other philanthropic fundraising, may be substituted)
- 3+ years’ project management experience
- Skilled at collaboration, working on a team, and building relationships with a wide range of stakeholders
- Focused on results, with a commitment to knowledge sharing, continuous growth and improvement
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and Google Drive
Nice to have:
- Farming or ranching experience, or experience living/working in a rural or agricultural community
- Familiarity with the agricultural landscape and/or the local food movement in the Pacific Northwest
- Understanding of how regenerative agricultural practices can contribute to climate change mitigation (either through avoided emissions or soil carbon sequestration)
- Understanding of how systemic inequities can contribute to major agricultural issues such as land access, access to capital, etc.
- Nonprofit experience
- Experience working with start-ups or businesses during a period of growth or transition
- Academic training in a relevant field (business, marketing, agriculture, etc.)
How To Apply:
Complete an Ecotrust Employment Application form (available above as a PDF or Word doc) and forward with a cover letter (1-page maximum) and resume (2-page maximum) to email@example.com with this position’s title in the subject line by 5pm PST on the day of the application deadline listed above.
The Selection Process:
- Initial review
- Phone screenings
- Interviews (in-person or via Skype)
- (If needed) Second round interviews and/or exercise to assess specific qualifications
- Reference checks
Salary Range: $60,000-$70,000 DOE
This is a full-time position on Ecotrust’s Food & Farms Team. Ecotrust is headquartered in Portland, Oregon, but there is the potential for this position to be remote from a rural location within the Pacific Northwest if desired. Ecotrust offers a full benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement plan, life insurance, and disability coverage. Ecotrust is committed to growth and learning for all staff members and provides relevant developmental training opportunities.
Ecotrust is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that a diverse staff of qualified, highly-skilled, and creative individuals is necessary to achieve the vision and mission of the project. We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who can contribute to the diversity of our workforce across a range of dimensions.
Veterans’ Preference: Under Oregon Law, qualifying veterans may apply for veterans’ preference for this recruitment. The contact listed on the job announcement must receive all required documentation by the closing date of the recruitment.
Accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act: We gladly provide reasonable accommodation to anyone whose specific disability prevents them from completing an application or participating in this recruitment process. Please reach out to the contact above in advance to request assistance.