Who we are
Ecotrust creates and accelerates triple-bottom-line innovations to benefit our region and inspire the world. On the farm, at the coast, in the forest, and across our cities, we work in partnership towards an equitable, prosperous, climate-smart future. Since 1991, we have created durable change and sparked ideas across the globe. Ecotrust’s mission is to inspire fresh thinking that creates economic opportunity, social equity, and environmental well-being. Our goal is to foster a natural model of development that creates more resilient communities, economies, and ecosystems here and around the world. Learn more at Ecotrust.org.
Ecotrust Investments (EI) actively manages Ecotrust’s endowment assets as well as Ecotrust’s investment initiatives that have raised investment capital, such as ‘The Redd on Salmon Street’. EI is a wholly owned subsidiary of Ecotrust, and is mandated to both generate financial returns to support Ecotrust’s work as well as to further Ecotrust’s mission.
EI has a bold vision for growth, as it seeks opportunities to creatively use investment capital to enhance social and racial equity and combat climate change. EI predominantly invests in businesses in the food & farms, fisheries, forestry, and green building sectors.
Ecotrust Investments is seeking a mission aligned individual who brings new skills and perspectives to the EI team. The Senior Business Analyst ideally has 5+ years of work experience, including financial analysis and operations management. This position requires analytical, strategic, creative, and critical thinking. Our work environment is fast-paced and supportive, and our workflow relies on staff flexibility and adaptability.
This position offers an inside look at impact investing, both investing in others’ projects and funds, as well as designing and developing impact investments. The Senior Business Analyst will create and maintain models that forecast the short and long-term financial and mission impacts of our investment portfolio.
Equity at the center
Ecotrust holds a deep commitment to equity, inclusion, and diversity as core principles integral to the work we do. As we add new members across all levels of the organization, we seek diverse perspectives and lived experiences that we believe foster learning, creativity, innovation, and equity. The Senior Business Analyst collaborates with the Managing Director to center racial equity in Ecotrust’s investment strategy.
Big Picture Framework
- Work with Ecotrust Investments Managing Director (MD) to increase the flow of investment capital into entities committed to environmental, social, and economic well-being.
- Stay up to date with trends in Impact Investing, especially as they pertain to environmental well-being and social and racial equity in the Pacific Northwest.
- Apply the principles of Equity Diversity and Inclusion to investment strategy.
- Work with Ecotrust program teams to identify trends that could lead to significant investment opportunities, new investment vehicles, and/or opportunities to enhance existing investments.
- Quantify and summarize Ecotrust’s investments’ impact – work with MD and EI Board to understand and weigh financial/social/environmental/risk trade-offs.
- Create and maintain financial models and dashboard reports for Ecotrust’s portfolio of investments.
- Assist with deal due diligence, including creating financial models and working with Ecotrust program team members and others on operational diligence.
- Collaborate with Ecotrust CFO and Finance Team to create annual budgets, execute transactions, and produce investment reporting across Ecotrust’s portfolio (including Real Estate assets).
- Work with MD to prioritize research and analysis opportunities.
- Prepare materials for Investor/Board/ Committee presentations.
- Maintain appropriate files for documents and databases.
- Manage interns and/or future staff (potential).
*Transferable skills will be considered as qualifications: any skills gained through education, work experience (including the military) or life experience that is relevant for this position. Be sure to describe any transferable skills on your application and clearly explain how they apply to this position.
- Working knowledge of both financial and natural systems.
- Due Diligence experience, including identifying, negotiating, and managing investment opportunities.
- Comfort creating or supporting the creation of new investment vehicles and enhancing existing portfolio investments.
- Skilled at evaluating investments from the financial/social/environmental perspective and assess risk trade-offs.
- Strong analytical skill-set, and demonstrated expertise utilizing financial systems and software (Microsoft Dynamics, AI, etc.) to extract data, analyze trends using financial modeling, produce meaningful reports, and present to key stakeholders.
- Experience creating and managing budgets.
- Adept in project management and collaboration, skilled at working across various layers / functions in an organization.
- Experience with impact investment vehicles, such as Mission Related Investments, Program Related Investments, Tax Credits, and Grants
- Experience in developing strong relationships within racially diverse teams, including those located remotely.
- Experience providing and receiving direct, constructive, and considerate feedback.
- Strong critical thinking skills with the ability to provide meaningful insights to business drivers and trends.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once and produce quality work within tight deadlines.
- Skilled communicator of complex ideas through both writing and presenting.
- Experience working with communities of color and thinking critically about the intersections of racism, poverty, and environmental well-being.
- Eagerness to learn, and the ability to be flexible, creative, resourceful and disciplined in a high-growth setting.
- 5+ years of work experience in a complementary role.
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills.
- Candidates must have the highest standards of personal and professional ethics, and be aligned with Ecotrust’s mission.
Preferred But Not Required:
- Experience working with historically underrepresented communities to cocreate investment strategies that benefit them.
- CFA, MBA or similar advanced degree.
- Familiarity with NMTC deals and applications, including some background in lending operations, loan servicing, compliance, and reporting.
- Familiarity with Real Estate operations & asset management (leasing/tenant relationships, vendor management, acting as owner’s representative on contractor projects, etc.) and Real Estate accounting (fixed assets, insurance, depreciation, leases, rental income, CAM reconciliations, etc.).
- Experience applying the principles of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion to investment strategy, and applying a triple-bottom-line, values-driven approach to measurement and evaluation.
How To Apply:
Please follow these directions closely. Complete an Ecotrust Employment Application form (available above as a PDF or Word DOC on the Ecotrust website) and forward with a cover letter (1 page maximum) and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with this position’s title in the subject line by close of business on the day of the application deadline listed above. Your cover letter should clearly explain how your skills, experience, and interests fit this position and should also specifically address how you have applied principles of Equity Diversity and Inclusion to previous roles and how you anticipate applying these principles to this role.
The Selection Process:
- Initial review of minimum qualifications
- Supplemental question review
- Interview (over the phone or Skype)
- Consideration of top candidates (in-person hiring activities)
- Reference checks
Salary Range: $75k – $85k annual salary; depending on experience
The position reports directly to the Ecotrust Investments Managing Director (MD).
This is a full-time position with a flexible work schedule and some travel. Ecotrust Investments offers a competitive salary and benefits program including medical and dental insurance, retirement plan, life insurance, and disability coverage.
Job requires occasional domestic travel, mostly West Coast.
Learn more about this position: Info session February 4, 2020 at noon PST
Ecotrust is hosting an informational session about this position on February 4, 2020 from noon-1pm PST. You can call in via conference line to listen in and ask questions:
One tap mobile
- +16699006833,,219890558# US (San Jose)
- +16468769923,,219890558# US (New York)
Dial by your location
- +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
- +1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
- Meeting ID: 219 890 558
We will record the session and post the recording to the Ecotrust website shortly afterwards.
Ecotrust is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that a diverse staff of qualified, highly-skilled, and creative individuals is necessary to achieve the vision and mission of the project. We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who can contribute to the diversity of our workforce across a range of dimensions. Black, Indigenous, Latinx, and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Veterans’ Preference: Under Oregon Law, qualifying veterans may apply for veterans’ preference for this recruitment. The contact listed on the job announcement must receive all required documentation by the closing date of the recruitment.
Accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act: We gladly provide reasonable accommodation to anyone whose specific disability prevents them from completing an application or participating in this recruitment process. Please reach out to email@example.com in advance to request assistance.