The Redd LLC, a project of the nonprofit Ecotrust, is seeking an Operations Manager to manage logistics, maintain the physical plant, and support the tenants of the Redd on Salmon Street. In Phase I of the project (Redd West), the Operations Manager will hold responsibility for successful daily operations of a building that includes a warehouse and cold storage facility, three commissary kitchens, and Class A office space, while nurturing the ecosystem of tenants, sub-tenants and stakeholders and remaining rooted in the Redd’s founding values. In Phase II (Redd East), the Operations Manager will support leasing, construction and events during the two-year build-out and launch.
The role requires a flexible individual, adept solving problems large or small, who embraces ambiguity, change, and multiple stakeholders, and gets things done.
The Operations Manager will oversee all Redd operations, and will be the point of contact for Ecotrust on-site.
Tenant Community Management
- Create an atmosphere of collaboration and professionalism through daily interaction with tenants. Tenant management includes seeking and supporting collaborations, resolving conflicts between/among tenants, as well as lease-related issues between tenants and the Redd.
- Work with tenants to support their business growth in line with the shared vision and values of the Redd.
- Identify and engage partner organizations who may be able to support the project and its tenants.
Health and Safety
- Ensure a safe environment for all tenants, staff and visitors on the full campus.
- Work with tenants to help them maintain all necessary food safety certifications (including HACCP and other relevant plans) and insurance.
- Act as an in-house expert for tenants on all food safety regulatory issues.
- Increase visibility and awareness of the Redd’s programs, identify opportunities for community engagement, and support the Redd’s public relations and community engagement plan.
- Coordinate all event rentals, including all permitting, insurance and logistics (with support from Ecotrust’s Event team).
- Schedule and lead regular Redd tours, plus VIP and community partner tours as requested.
- Conduct data and story collection from tenants and partners to track the Redd’s impact (with support from Ecotrust’s Development and Knowledge Systems teams).
Finance and Administration
- The Operations Manager is responsible for the financial bottom line of the project’s operations.
- Manage P&L, ensure congruence with Ecotrust financial reporting.
- Manage tenant leasing, vendor management, accounts receivable and accounts payable, operations expenses, payroll, insurance management, and reporting.
- The Operations Manager will maintain an effective organization and provide leadership to manage daily operations while focusing on the Redd’s mission.
*Transferable skills: any skills gained through education, work experience (including the military) or life experience that are relevant for this position. Be sure to describe any transferable skills on your application and clearly explain how they apply to this position.
- Action-oriented: must be able to collect input from multiple feedback, chart a course forward, and see tasks through to completion.
- Likeable: enjoys coordinating with tenants, engaging community stakeholders; has a reputation for enabling positive organizational cultures.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit: anticipates challenges and opportunities; relentlessly solution-oriented.
- Financial/Operational Acumen: experience with operations and logistics; track record of successful P&L management.
- Food industry or warehouse experience required, including familiarity with food safety regulations and compliance.
- Demonstrated experience in operations management within an entrepreneurial environment.
- Experience with community-based food systems preferred.
In addition to being a trusted contact for all Redd tenants, the Operations Manager will work closely with existing Ecotrust teams, including:
- Investments – the Redd on Salmon St. is a for-profit, mission-driven, real-estate development project managed by Ecotrust’s capital team; the Operations Manager will report to Ecotrust’s Director of Investment Strategy.
- Food & Farms (F&F) – the nonprofit programmatic team is responsible for ensuring the campus meets its mission to help develop a strong regional food system; the Operations Manager will work closely with F&F to support tenants’ business growth and development, filter potential new tenants, and partner to execute and evaluate programmatic projects and initiatives that innovate new, viable regional food system frameworks.
- Communications/Events – Ecotrust has an in-house communications and events team that provides foundational support for branding, marketing, PR, web and digital media, in-house event production, and support for client event rentals.
- Development – fundraising is a vital component of the capital stack to finance the campus, and as such, the Operations Manager will work with the development team to support donor cultivation and stewardship.
How To Apply:
Complete an Ecotrust Employment Application form (available above as a PDF or Word DOC) and forward with a cover letter (1 page maximum) and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org with this position’s title in the subject line by close of business on the day of the application deadline listed above.
ABOUT THE REDD
The Redd is a development project in Portland’s Central Eastside Industrial District, led by Ecotrust. The project is designed to facilitate the success of local/regional food producers and related enterprises by connecting farmers, ranchers and fishermen to wholesale buyers, especially institutions serving vulnerable populations within our community.
The physical campus includes two city blocks – 76,000 SF of property, with over 50,000 SF of leasable warehouse, production kitchen, and related office/retail/event space. With this campus we endeavor to preserve food warehousing and production functions, and the jobs that go with them, in the City’s core. In addition, through use of the retail and convening space, we aim to engage eaters in building a collaborative, responsive, open relationship with regional food producers, thus helping those living in the City connect with our food system partners outside the urban growth boundary.
Who we are: Ecotrust is a regional organization that has been leading restoration-based economic development since 1991. Ecotrust’s many innovations include cofounding an environmental bank, starting the world’s first ecosystem investment fund, creating a range of programs in fisheries, forestry, food, farms and indigenous affairs, and developing new scientific and information tools to improve social, economic and environmental decision making. Learn more about our work here: www.ecotrust.org
Ecotrust holds a deep commitment to equity and diversity as core principles integral to the work we do. As we add new members across all levels of the organization, we seek diverse perspectives that will add richness to our evolving organization and networks.
Salary Range: $55,000-$60,000
This is a full-time position. Ecotrust offers a full benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement plan, life insurance, and disability coverage.
Ecotrust is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that a diverse staff of qualified, highly-skilled, and creative individuals is necessary to achieve the vision and mission of the project. We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who can contribute to the diversity of our workforce across a range of dimensions.
Veterans’ Preference: Under Oregon Law, qualifying veterans may apply for veterans’ preference for this recruitment. The contact listed on the job announcement must receive all required documentation by the closing date of the recruitment.
Accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act: We gladly provide reasonable accommodation to anyone whose specific disability prevents them from completing an application or participating in this recruitment process. Please reach out to the contact above in advance to request assistance.